QuickTime®Player is required to run the .mov files in this section.
- Chris Dewart demonstrates how to bore a mortice.
- Chris places pieces of wood into the steamer.
- Clamps hold the wood laminations to the bending form until they dry.
- Chris shows an example of a wood bend.
- The CNC mill creates a complex form on a table top.
- A wood-steaming chamber, ready to prepare wood for bending.
- Plywood bent to the shape of a styrofoam form for vacuum forming.
- A close-up photo of the CNC cut pattern.
- An incline is chiseled into the wood, showing a rough pre-finish surface.
- The surface is shaped more finely, revealing a smoother surface.
- Styles of chiseling can vary greatly…
- …and, at times, more drastic measures are taken.
- Opposite ends of a joint are formed to combine two pieces of wood.
- Together, the pieces are joined to form the legs of a table.
- Dan works on box joints for his chair design.
- Bent wood laminations before glue up.
- A planer is used to level the surface of the wood.
(MOV - 2.9MB)
- A hammer and chisel are used for the first stages of contouring a surface.
(MOV - 3.5MB)
- A unique method of using the hammer and chisel.
(MOV - 3.1MB)
- A basic wood bending demonstration.
(MOV - 4.2MB)
- A complex wood bending demonstration (Part I).
(MOV - 4.8MB)
- A complex wood bending demonstration (Part II).
(MOV - 4.7MB)
- A demonstration of the CNC mill maneuvering.
(MOV - 2.9MB)
- A chair set is revealed from the compact form.
(MOV - 728K)