Presentations of readings
1. A Computational Prospective
2. An Evolutionary Perspective
3. Challenges from Psycholinguistics
4. Challenges from the Associationists
5. Additive Factors Approaches to Functional Dissociations
Innateness and Plasticity in Vision
1. Arealization and its Development
2. Development of Ocular Dominance
3. Rewiring Sensory Cortex
4. Rewiring in Humans
1. Attentive Tracking in Adults
2. Object Perception in Infants: an Encapsulated Mechanism?
3. Object Tracking in Infants and Adults: A Domain-specific Mechanism?
4. Infants’ Use or Non-use of Kind Information to Parse Objects
5. Adults’ Use or Non-use of Kind Information to Parse Objects
People I: Faces
1. On the Nature of Face Representations
2. Evidence for Special Neural Hardware for Faces
3. The Role of Experience
4. Category-General Object Representations
5. Developmental Origins of Face Recognition Abilities
People II: Body Parts, Biological Motion, and Action
1. Body Parts
2. Biological Motion
3. Gaze Following
4. Mirror Neurons and Imitation
5. Perceiving Action as Goal-directed
People III: Mind
1. Theory of Mind and Language
2. Theory of Mind and Autism: A Specific Deficit?
3. Is Theory of Mind Specific to Humans?
4. Neuroimaging of Theory of Mind
Number I: Number Sense
1. Is there a Dedicated Cortical Region for Processing Approximate Numerosity?
2. Number Sense in Animals
3. Number Sense in Infants
4. Number Sense in Adults: Estimating and Operating on Approximate Numerosities
5. Using Number Sense in Mental Arithmetic
6. Impairments of Number Sense
Number II: Small Numbers, Large Numbers, and Verbal Counting
1. Small Number Representations in Animals and Infants
2. Small Number Representations in Adults and Infants (subitizing)
3. Small Number Representations in Infants: Is it Really Number?
4. Patient Studies of Small Number Representations?
5. Number and Language
6. Are Large, Exact Number Representations Unique to Humans with Language?
Places I: Path Integration and Cognitive Maps
1. Patient Studies
2. Path Integration in Animals
3. Path Integration in Human Adults
4. Updating vs. Using Allocentric Cognitive Maps
5. fMRI Studies of Navigation in Virtual Environments
Places II: Reorientation
1. Is there a Purely Geometric Module in Animals?
2. Is there a Purely Geometric Module in Human Infants?
3. Space and Language
4. Geometry and the Brain
Other Possible Domains
2. Fruits & Vegetables?
7. Moral Sense?
9. A “visual word form area”?