Creative Commons - MIT Open Courseware License 1.0
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is providing this Work (as defined below) under the terms of this Creative Commons public license ("CCPL" or "license"). The Work is protected by copyright and/or other applicable law. Any use of the work other than as authorized under this license is prohibited.
By exercising any of the rights to the Work provided here, You (as defined below) accept and agree to be bound by the terms of this license. The Licensor, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, grants You the rights contained here in consideration of Your acceptance of such terms and conditions.
1. Fair Use Rights and Third-Party Rights.
Nothing in this license is intended to reduce, limit, or restrict any rights arising from fair use, first sale or other limitations on the exclusive rights of the copyright owner under copyright law or other applicable laws. Nothing in this license is intended to reduce, limit, or restrict any rights owned by third-parties.
2. License Grant
Except as noted below, Massachusetts Institute of Technology hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright) license to exercise these rights for non-commercial educational purposes:
- to reproduce the Work, to incorporate it into any Collective Works (as defined below), and to reproduce the work as incorporated in the Collective Works;
- to create and reproduce Derivative Works (as defined below);
- to distribute copies of, display publicly, perform publicly, and perform publicly by means of digital audio transmission the Work, including as incorporated in Collective Works;
- to distribute copies of, display publicly, perform publicly, and perform publicly by means of digital audio transmission Derivative Works.
The above rights may be exercised in all media and formats whether now known or hereafter devised. The above rights include the rights to make such modifications technically necessary to exercise the rights in other media and formats (e.g., "format-shifting").
This overall website is Copyright © 2002 Massachusetts Institute of Technology OpenCourseWare (OCW). All rights reserved except as expressly granted herein. All rights not expressly granted by Massachusetts Institute of Technology are hereby reserved.
Except for limited portions in the public domain, the OCW Materials are copyrighted and are the exclusive property of MIT, an MIT faculty member, or their respective licensors. This Agreement conveys a limited right to use the OCW Materials and shall not be construed to convey title in any of the OCW Materials to You. MIT reserves the right to add, remove, or otherwise modify the content of the OCW Web site at any time without notice to You.
You may exercise the rights granted above only under the terms of this License. You may exercise the rights granted above only for non-commercial educational purposes.
- You must include a copy of this License, or clear and reasonable notice of its location (such as by uniform resource identifier), with every copy of the Work or any Derivative Work You create from it. You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of warranties.
- If You exercise any of the rights granted above, You must give proper attribution to Massachusetts Institute of Technology and to the Original Authors where identified on the Work. Acceptable form for attribution to an Author is: "This material was created by or adapted from material created by MIT faculty member, (Name), (Title), (Year). Copyright © (Year) (Faculty Member's Name)."
- You shall not, without prior written consent of the MIT News Office, use the name of the "Massachusetts Institute of Technology," MIT, M.I.T., or any other variation, adaptation, or abbreviation thereof, or the name of any of its trustees, officers, faculty, students, employees, or agents, or any trademark, owned by MIT in any promotional material or other public announcement concerning OCW Materials, except when such use is as an attribution to the OCW Materials as defined in the preceding paragraphs. Further, upon request from OCW or by MIT or by any MIT faculty member, You shall remove the faculty member's name from any derivations or modifications of the OCW Materials.
- You may not offer or impose any terms on the Work or any Derivative Work that alter or restrict the terms of this License or the recipients' exercise of the rights granted here. You may not exercise any of the rights granted above with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work or any Derivative Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement.
4. Liability Disclaimer
Care has been taken by MIT OCW, faculty authors and content developers to assure accuracy and completeness of content in MIT OCW consistent with high academic standards. However, neither MIT nor original authors make any warranty, express or implied, as to the correctness, completeness, or quality of OCW materials. Materials or their suitability for a particular purpose. THE MIT OCW MATERIALS ARE OFFERED AS IS. MIT AND THE COPYRIGHT OWNERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE MATERIALS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT, OR THE ABSENCE OF LATENT OR OTHER DEFECTS, ACCURACY, OR THE PRESENCE OR ABSENCE OF ERRORS, WHETHER OR NOT DISCOVERABLE. MIT EXTENDS NO WARANTIES OF ANY KIND AS TO THE MIT OCW MATERIALS' CONFORMITY WITH ANY OTHER MATERIALS. Furthermore, and not limiting the foregoing, MIT makes no warranty or representation that the use of the materials will not infringe any patents, copyright or other intellectual property rights of MIT or of a third party.
IN NO EVENT SHALL MIT, ITS TRUSTEES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES OR AFFILIATES BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING ECONOMIC DAMAGES OR INJURY TO PROPERTY, PERSON OR LOST PROFITS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER MIT SHALL BE ADVISED, SHALL HAVE OTHER REASON TO KNOW OR IN FACT SHALL KNOW OF THE POSSIBILITY OF THE FOREGOING.
This License and the rights granted hereunder will terminate automatically upon any breach by You of the terms of this License. Individuals or entities who have received Derivative Works or Collective Works from You under this License, however, will not have their licenses terminated provided such individuals or entities remain in full compliance with those licenses. Sections 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 will survive any termination of this License.
Subject to the above terms and conditions, the license granted here is perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright in the Work). Notwithstanding the above, Licensor reserves the right to release the Work under different license terms or to stop distributing the Work at any time; provided, however that any such election will not serve to withdraw this License (or any other license that has been, or is required to be, granted under the terms of this License), and this License will continue in full force and effect unless terminated as stated above.
- Each time You distribute or publicly digitally perform the Work, Collective Work, or Derivative Work, Massachusetts Institute of Technology offers to the recipient a license to the Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- If any provision of this License is invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, it shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remainder of the terms of this License, and without further action by the parties to this agreement, such provision shall be reformed to the minimum extent necessary to make such provision valid and enforceable.
- No term or provision of this License shall be deemed waived and no breach consented to unless such waiver or consent is in writing and signed by the party to be charged with such waiver or consent.
- This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the Work licensed here. There are no understandings, agreements or representations with respect to the Work not specified here. Licensor shall not be bound by any additional provisions that may appear in any communication from You. This License may not be modified without the mutual written agreement of the Licensor and You.
- "Collective Work" is a work, such as a periodical issue, anthology, or encyclopedia, in which a number of contributions, constituting separate and independent works in themselves, are assembled into a collective whole.
- "Derivative Work" is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a ''derivative work''.
- "Licensor" means the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- "Original Author" means the MIT faculty member who originates or creates the Work.
- "Work" means the copyrightable work of authorship offered under the terms of this License, except as noted above.
- "You" means an individual or entity exercising rights under this License who has not previously violated the terms of this License with respect to the Work, or who has received express permission from the Licensor to exercise rights under this License despite a previous violation.
Information about Creative Commons
Creative Commons is not a party to this License, and makes no warranty whatsoever in connection with the Work. Creative Commons will not be liable to You or any party on any legal theory for any damages whatsoever, including without limitation any general, special, incidental or consequential damages arising in connection to this license. Notwithstanding the foregoing two (2) sentences, if Creative Commons has expressly identified itself as the Licensor hereunder, it shall have all rights and obligations of Licensor.
Except for the limited purpose of indicating to the public that the Work is licensed under the CCPL, neither party will use the trademark "Creative Commons" or any related trademark or logo of Creative Commons without the prior written consent of Creative Commons. Any permitted use will be in compliance with Creative Commons' then-current trademark usage guidelines, as may be published on its website or otherwise made available upon request from time to time.
Creative Commons may be contacted at http://creativecommons.org/.
CREATIVE COMMONS CORPORATION IS NOT A LAW FIRM AND DOES NOT PROVIDE LEGAL SERVICES. DISTRIBUTION OF THIS LICENSE DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. CREATIVE COMMONS PROVIDES THIS LICENSE DOCUMENT ON AN "AS-IS" BASIS. CREATIVE COMMONS MAKES NO WARRANTIES REGARDING THIS LICENSE DOCUMENT, AND DISCLAIMS LIABILITY FOR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ITS USE.